PS5/Xbox Series X: I never need my drives - but I just can't do without

If my 15 -year younger I found out that the Tobi from 2022 mainly buys and owns its games digitally, it would have liked it. And yet it is true. **** I have mostly sworn off physical games, even if I am still stored in the basement of a number of old treasures of past generation. The reasons for me are primarily the comfort and space saving.

Accordingly, the drives in my PS5 and Xbox Series X live accordingly. When the consoles came into the house at the end of 2020, I naturally tried out a few discs for our tests, but since then the slots have set a lot of dust. Games land directly on my hard drives, for UHDS I have a separate player. To be honest, I even forgot the noises that make the drives when you feed them with a disc. High whirring or deep cubes? I can't tell you.

Tobias Veltin

__@Frischerveltin

There are fewer and fewer physical media in Tobi's household. During the last move, he disposed of or gave DVDs boxes. Nice side effect: The switch to digital or streaming saves space, which can then be used for new board games.

drives despite the digital vorm car: the reasons

So I don't really need the drives. And yet the mere thought, I wouldn't have had it from one day to the other, quite a bit of discomfort. Paradox, right? After all, the PS5 Digital Edition and the Xbox Series S are also great devices, the latter, of course, with further restrictions away from the missing drive, but at least as well suited for purely digital things.

__120 __6

more on the subject

PS5: Digital Edition or with a drive? The differences in the models

__

So why do I hang on the drives? I asked myself this question recently and found two reasons for me:

  1. Habit. All of my consoles after the module age had drives, so I'm just used to having these devices a disc slit or drawer.
  2. Flexibility. I know that I would have a drive if I need 1. It remains to be seen whether this should actually be the case regularly again. But I would be prepared for more situations.

If you have a PS5, Never Do This The second point is of course the really decisive one, because the flexibility mentioned also affects the game buying. I have the choice whether I want to buy a game digitally or physically, my consoles can do something with both versions.

In this case, this has not happened that this has not happened for almost two years now, because this is about mere security. Because yes, it is extremely unlikely, but: maybe my UHD player will break and I have to switch to the console at short notice? Or I go out an old downward compatible disc into the basement and crawl?

So it is the certainty to have the drive if you should need it to calm me down and that I would not have with a digital only console. The feeling of being prepared for everything - even if you know that you don't really have to be. Will my strange attitude to change at some point? At least at the moment I can't imagine that. But who knows: After all, my 15 year younger I would not have thought this development possible.

How are you? Like Tobi, would you also have a problem to do without a drive - even though you may not need it?

Comments

Popular Posts